College Credit Policy

Alternative Methods of Earning Credit

Academic credit may be granted through alternative methods, including those listed below, Credit by Examination, and Articulated Credit. Earning credit via alternative means is reserved for students who are currently enrolled at TVCC and have a declared major, appropriate for the credit being requested. Credit awarded by one of the alternative methods listed below will appear on the student’s transcript when all required conditions are met, but will not be used for grade point average calculations.

Trinity Valley Community College cannot guarantee that any credit received through alternative methods will be recognized by transfer institutions. As such, students are encouraged to verify transferability prior to applying for credit. Each request will be reviewed for appropriateness and approval. 

Conversion of Continuing Education to Academic Credit

Credit for workforce education courses may be awarded for learning achieved through the Trinity Valley Community College Continuing Education program. Students must meet the same academic rigor as those students taking the course for academic credit, earning a C or higher to qualify for credit in the equivalent academic course. Students should contact the Adult and Continuing Education department or associate vice president of workforce education for additional information. A processing fee for this conversion applies.

TDCJ Pre-Service and In-Service Training

TDCJ employees who have completed the TDCJ pre-service and/or in-service training provided by Trinity Valley Community College on or after June 1, 2016 are eligible to convert the continuing education credit received during their training to academic credit for coursework required in TVCC’s correctional science certificate of completion. Contact the associate vice president of correctional programs for more details. A processing fee for this conversion applies.