Early Childhood Development AAS Degree
Child development teachers provide valuable experiences that enhance the lives of the most important people in the world, our children. The early childhood worker provides care for children such as feeding, diapering, and comforting, as well as programs to stimulate children’s social and intellectual development.
Childcare workers need to be kind, patient, dependable, and emotionally stable. They should relate well with children and enjoy art, music, storytelling, and drama. They need to be creative and imaginative with a good sense of humor and an enthusiastic personality. They need to be able to provide fair, firm discipline when necessary. They should enjoy working with children and helping others. Childcare workers must be able to follow governmental standards and regulations.
- Degree Type: AAS
- All required courses available online
- TSI: required
- Capstone course: CDEC-2368 Practicum, Child Care Provider/Assistant
Note: Criminal history may disqualify individuals from having access to children in licensed or certified childcare operations. Additionally, a criminal history may disqualify individuals from obtaining or maintaining any certifications required in childcare settings.
- The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) permits and monitors all child-care operations and child-placing agencies for compliance with state licensing standards, rules and laws.
- For details about specific offenses and their impact on different types of child care settings, refer to https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Care/documents/Standards_and_Regulations/LCCO_Chart.pdf.
- Note that even though the chart outlines offenses in which persons may be present at a child-care operation, DFPS may place conditions or restrictions on a person’s duties in order for the person to be present at the operation.
Although not designed to transfer, this AAS degree program leads to an online Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences (BAAS) degree with participating universities. See an academic advisor for more information about the BAAS.
|TECA-1311||Educating Young Children||3|
|TECA-1303||Families, School and Community||3|
|BCIS-1305||Business Computer Applications||3|
|TECA-1354||Child Growth and Development||3|
|TECA-1318||Wellness of the Young Child||3|
|MATH-1332||Contemporary Mathematics (quantitative Reasoning)||3|
|Math and Science for Early Childhood
or Administration of Programs for Children I
|PSYC-2314||Lifespan Growth and Development||3|
|Administration of Programs for Children II
or Emergent Literacy for Early Childhood
|CDEC-1459||Children With Special Needs||4|
|The School Age Child
or Beginning Spanish I
|Lang, Phil, & Culture/Creative Arts||3|
|SOCI-1301||Introduction to Sociology||3|
|CDEC-1358||Creative Arts for Early Childhood||3|
|CDEC-2315||Diverse Cultural/Multilingual Education||3|
|CDEC-2368||Practicum, Child Care Provider/Assistant (Capstone)||3|