TDCJ Financial Assistance
*State Reimbursable Costs (PSER)
All college expenses incurred, labeled as State Reimbursable Costs, will be repaid by the offender upon release. State Reimbursable Costs are defined as follows:
- State Reimbursable Costs include tuition and fees for college credit associate and baccalaureate level courses required as a result of TSI testing.
- As a State Reimbursable Cost, the state will pay for only the cost of the offender's initial academic course each semester. Additional courses each semester will be at the expense of the student.
- State Reimbursable Costs include tuition and fees for college credit workforce and academic courses for each qualified offender student.
- Financial aid eligibility and utilization will be between the student and the college or university. The outstanding amount not covered by financial aid will be the amount financed by TDCJ, which will be repaid by the student. The outstanding amount (State Reimbursable Cost) may not be more than the cost of one course.
- Since books are reused each semester, the offenders will not be required to reimburse book costs.
- Upon release from TDCJ, those offenders who discharge their sentence should contact the: Rehabilitation Programs Division P.O. Box 99 Huntsville, TX 77340 to make arrangements for reimbursement of charges made to their post-secondary education reimbursement accounts for college tuition and testing (936-437-6299).
In some instances, an offender may not be required to reimburse certain state reimbursable costs. If an offender is dropped from a course and the reason is deemed excused, he will not be liable for the reimbursement.
*Students with felony or INS detainer are not eligible for reimbursement and must pay all tuition costs from their trust fund account.
Second Chance Pell (Federal Pell Grant)
The Second Chance Pell (SCP) Experiment was initiated in 2015 and provides need-based Federal Pell Grants to qualified individuals incarcerated in the TDCJ. Students that are seeking SCP must apply each year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and must be pursuing a certificate or degree in an approved program offered at TVCC.
TVCC students may now participate in the SCP and receive Federal Pell funds upon submission of an application for admission and FAFSA to the Office of Student Financial Aid at TVCC..
TEXAS PUBLIC EDUCATION GRANT (TPEG)
Trinity Valley Community College offers a tuition grant that provides assistance to students with financial need. TVCC makes TPEG awards from its own resources and as funds are available. No individual award may be more than the student’s financial need. A TVCC counselor can provide additional information concerning the TPEG.
HAZLEWOOD ACT BENEFITS
A veteran may be entitled to apply for a waiver of tuition by Trinity Valley Community College if he meets the following requirements:
If an offender was a Texas resident at the time of induction into military service, he may be eligible for financial aid. He must provide a DD214 Member 4 and a letter from the V.A. stating that he has no education benefits remaining to apply. Conditions for eligibility include 181 or more days of active service and an honorable or general discharge under honorable conditions. The offender may not be in default on any education loan that was made or guaranteed by the State of Texas. The address of the regional V.A. Office to request your DD214 Member 4 is 701 Clay Ave. Waco, TX 76799. The address of the regional V.A. Office to request a letter regarding ineligibility for V.A. benefits is P.O. Box 8888, Muskogee, OK 74402-8888.
Students enrolled at TDCJ units are not eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill /V.A. education benefits through TVCC. The College is not approved by the Texas Workforce Commission and Department of Veterans Affairs to certify students who are currently incarcerated.
Payment by Cashier's Check or Money Order
TVCC allows direct payment of tuition by cashier’s check or money order. Please make cashier's checks/money orders payable to Trinity Valley Community College (TVCC) and mail to:
Trinity Valley Community College 2970 N. State Hwy. 19 Palestine, TX 75803 Attention: Correctional Education
Questions regarding tuition reimbursement after release from TDCJ should be directed to:
Rehabilitation Programs Division (RPD)
Texas Department of Criminal Justice
P.O. Box 99
Huntsville, TX 77340